Why is a Building Permit required?

 A building permit is required in order to protect the health and safety of the owner and public. It does so by providing the means for the Fisher Armstrong Planning District to review the project design and to inspect the construction for minimum standards as required by the Manitoba Building Code and Building By-Laws.


What construction projects require building permits?

 A building permit is required for new construction, additions, alterations, renovations, relocations, and repairs or rehabilitation of a building or structure, while some minor repairs do not require one. A plumbing permit is also required. Electrical permits must be obtained by applying at the local Manitoba Hydro Office.


Examples of Projects which require a building permit:

 All new construction

  • Repair and underpinning of foundations
  • Construction of decks and verandahs
  • Construction of accessory buildings (storage sheds, gazebos, etc.) exceeding 100 sq. feet
  • Construction of attached and detached garages and carports


Examples of projects which normally do not require a building permit:

 Non structural renovation replacement of stucco, siding or shingles. Replacement of doors when the opening is not altered

  • Construction of Fences & Windows (subject to zoning by-law compliance)
  • Patching, painting, and decorating
  • Installation of cabinets and shelves – not requiring structural alterations or opening of the building vapour barrier
  • Accessory buildings not exceeding 100 sq. feet in area (however they must comply with the minimum yard requirements of the municipal zoning by-law)
  • Minor accessory farm buildings or structures that are open ended or unenclosed such as hay shelters or loose housing animal shelters and moveable structures built on skids such as granaries and cattle feeders.


What if I fail to take out a permit?

 If the work does not comply with Code requirements, costly repairs may be required

  • Work that cannot be made to comply will require removal
  • The cost of the permit may be doubled
  • Legal action may be initiated to address the non compliance
  • Additional fees up to xxx may be charged for work that has been covered

What documentation is required to make the building permit application?

 Two complete set of blueprints of proposed dwelling or addition

  • Building Permit application
  • Site plan disclaimer
  • A site plan
  • Other applicable forms


Engineer Seal required for the following:

  • Foundation wall over 12 meters in length
  • Thickened edge slab over 1000 sq ft
  • Any building with a second storey (finished or unfinished) on a thickened edge slab
  • Footings and foundations less that 4 feet 6 inches or 1.37 meters below finished grade
  • Preserved wood foundations, wood grade beam and insulated concrete (ICF) basement or grade beam less that 8″ thick.
  • Wood basement
  • Pile foundations not conforming to section D. & E. and all pile foundations for dwellings of more than one storey.

     Timber frame and log construction

  • Post and beam construction with posts spaced more than 2 feet apart per
  • Above grade concrete walls less that 6″ thick
  • Post and pad type foundation


Is a plumbing permit required?

 Yes, a plumbing permit is required for the following:

  • New plumbing installation or alteration to existing plumbing


Is a permit required for a well and septic field/holding tank?

 Yes. This can be obtained from the Environmental Officer Kim Kmet, Manitoba Conservation & Climate 75 – 7th Ave, Gimli, MB, R0C 1B0, 204-641-4091 


Is a permit required for electrical?

Yes, this can be obtained at your local Manitoba Hydro Office.


Where do I apply for a building permit?

 You can apply for a building permit at either the RM of Fisher office 30 Tache Street. Fisher Branch, MB, R0C 0Z0, phone: (204) 372-6393 email: rmoffisher@mymts.net , or at the RM of Armstrong office Box 69, Inwood, MB, R0C 1P0 phone: (204) 278-3377 email: cao@rmofarmstrong.com


*** Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in this page. However, in case of a discrepancy between this page and the respective by-laws, the applicable by-law will take precedence.

*** Even if a permit is not required, there are still restrictions under the zoning by-laws that need to be adhered to. As such we encourage you to contact the Fisher Armstrong Planning District Office to confirm if a permit is required for your project as well as any pertinent information regarding by-law restrictions.