A Building Permit is required in order to protect the Health & Safety of the owner and the public. It provides a means for the Office of the Fire Commissioner to review the project design and to inspect the construction for minimum standards as required by the Manitoba Building Code and Building By-Laws.
A Building Permit is required for:
- all new construction, additions, alterations, renovations, relocations, and repairs or rehabilitation of a building or structure.
- repair and underpinning of foundations, construction of decks, and verandahs.
- construction of accessory buildings (storage sheds, gazebos etc.) exceeding 10 square meters.
- construction of attached and detached garages, and carports.
- Accessory buildings not exceeding 10 square meters in area must comply with the minimum yard requirements of the Municipal Zoning By-Law.
- A Demolition Permit is required for all demolition or removal of structures and shall be subject to code requirements.
- Mobile Homes and RTM’s shall comply with the code requirements. RTM’s require submission of a complete set of plans and specifications. Submission of copies of any or all permits taken out for the mobile home or RTM in the location of its construction together with a copy of any or all inspection reports. Mobile Homes must be CSA approved.
A Building Permit is not required for:
- non-structural renovation such as replacement of stucco, siding, or shingles
- replacement of doors when the opening is not altered
- construction of fences and windows (subject to zoning By-Law compliance)
- patching, painting and decorating
- the installation of cabinets and shelves – not requiring structural alterations or opening of the building vapor barrier
- minor accessory farm buildings or structures that are open ended or unenclosed such as: hay shelters or loose housing animal shelters
- moveable structures built on skids, such as granaries and cattle feeders
A Permit is required for a Well or a Septic Field/Holding Tank. Contact the Environment Control Officer, Kim Kmet @ 204-641-4091.
A Permit is required for Electrical. Contact your local Manitoba Hydro Office.
A Plumbing Permit is required for new plumbing installation or alteration to existing plumbing.
Building Permit applications are available at the RM of Fisher office located at 30 Tache Street, Fisher Branch, Manitoba or call 204-372-6393 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following documentation (as applicable) is to be submitted with the completed building permit application:
site plan, code analysis, foundation plan, floor plan, structural plan, elevations, cross-sections and details, mechanical plans, electrical plans, plumbing isometric drawing. All buildings 40 feet or longer require engineered stamped drawings.
Fees for permits will be calculated based on value/footage and payable to the “Minister of Finance” for the Office of the Fire Commissioner services (building permits & inspections).
A $75.00 Development Permit fee is payable to the RM of Fisher.
All permit applications must be submitted and approved by the Rural Municipality of Fisher before being sent to the Office of the Fire Commissioner (OFC). The OFC will issue the permit once all required documents have been submitted. Inspections will be completed by the OFC. Do not start your project before receiving your permit from the OFC. This may result in fines and your project not receiving an inspection.
***Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in this notice. The RM of Fisher Zoning By-Law No. 1055/00 will take precedence.